Monday, May 29, 2017

Remote Work... Denied.

I recently tweeted an article regarding Microsoft's curtailing of remote work - a terrible decision.  Employment trends should move the exact opposite direction.

This is especially true in web development (Microsoft targeted software developers).  I could go on for days... We typically work alone; pushing and pulling code requires open source tools, which can be downloaded to practically any computer; development files are typically small, so slow/shaky connections are fine; working from home minimizes meetings and distractions, which are nightmares for focused developers.  It should be a no-brainer - better for everyone.

Even the planet - I'm a tree-hugger, so that matters to me.  We reduce gas consumption and emissions, buy less clothes, eat out less - there are plenty of examples, I'm sure.  The point is that we need to be moving towards "green" solutions.

I try to keep these posts relatively short, but bear with me a moment.  I'd like to reference a book I read this weekend - The 4-Hour Workweek, by Tim Ferriss. It's considered a must-read by a few people I follow and respect.  If you're reading this, I assume you care.  Ferriss spends quite a bit of time imploring employees to seek remote-work arrangements - even quitting, if the boss won't budge.

I hope Microsoft and others reconsider this move away from remote work.

If you're interested in my thoughts on The 4-Hour Workweek; it lives up to the hype.  Tim definitely includes more stories and "resources" than I deem necessary, but he articulates his arguments well, and a lot of what he says aligns with my personal philosophies.  If you're into refining your priorities and living an "effective" life, it's worth reading.  I even finished the book quicker, by following his speed reading tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment