Thursday, January 11, 2018

Where have I been?

Doctors playing my game.  
It has been a while since my last post. Some of you may be wondering what’s up with that. Well I’ll tell you: I’ve been working - working hard. My company recently had a big event, and it was all-hands-on-deck. We were at it full-throttle, for a few months. I managed to squeak out a few articles, in the beginning, but then the workload became too much. One of my applications was in the show. I had to focus. Everything went very well, though! Doctors from all over the world played my game; I even saw them taking pictures beside the screen. I’m still elated!

Since then, unit testing has consumed much of my time. I currently have a few projects on my plate, and they all need tests. I know, I know… I should have written them first. Well, I’m new to this, and deadlines are real. Writing had to take a backseat, while I learned the Jasmine framework, and how to properly implement consistent, fast, accurate tests. That’s definitely more than a month-long process; I still have plenty to learn, but I’m making progress. And I like the results. The first unit tests I ever wrote were on the backend (PHPUnit), and weren’t really good. I learned a lot, though, and much of it transfers to what I’m doing with Jasmine. I find the confidence from testing, and ability to skip the browser (I use Karma to run tests), are worth the extra effort. I plan to make this a permanent change in my workflow. Maybe I’ll elaborate further later, but for now, I just wanted to give you an update on what I’ve been doing.

I plan to continue writing; I find it helps me better understand development. Furthermore, I write for developers and dev teams. My hope is that these posts eventually lead to fruitful discussions that help me become a better developer. Lets see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment