Saturday, April 15, 2017

React or Aurelia?

After finally feeling pretty comfortable with Backbone, I've decided to move away from it. I recently attended a developer's meetup where we looked at Aurelia.IO. I like what I saw.  Further, technology is all about embracing the new.  Moving on to the popular new tool is just pretty much part of the IT spirit.  I was being resistant and holding on to what I knew most - terrible mindset for a dev.

So I was really impressed with Aurelia, but I know React is the popular kid, so I'm at a crossroads - which to choose.  At this point, the learning curve really doesn't matter; I've accepted it as part of the profession.  I'm more concerned about market value.  Aurelia could turn out to be the new cool kid, but maybe not.  That's a big concern for me.  I'd prefer to learn and build experience with an in-demand technology.  Right now I use Slim (long story) as a backend PHP framework, and it drives me crazy because everyone wants a Laravel developer - meaning my market value would be higher if I had built the same experience, just with a different framework.

If you're wondering why Angular isn't on this list, it's because I feel like it's the new Backbone/jQuery.  It's been around for a while, a lot of people/organizations use it, but I think devs will start moving on soon.  That's just my opinion.  I could be wrong, but you've got to make your own decisions in life.  Still, if you disagree, I would love to hear your thoughts.  I'm not stubborn.

So which should I choose?  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment